Bumper charity shop haul

Work clothes! I love the way the skirt
looks with the black velvet jacket.
I had a day of charity shop WIN at the weekend. You know how some days you get up and you think, “Today, there is something out there for me”? Well, on Saturday I did think that, and there were several somethings out there for me.

Age UK is probably my favourite of my local charity shops as it tends to have more granny clothing than other chazzas. I adore my nantastic wool skirts, and that’s what my local branch delivers. They had a £1.49 sale this weekend, so I was able to get a tweedy skirt in one of those timeless shapes, just below the knee, that can be worked into a wealth of looks and this pure wool tartan skirt. I don’t really have the figure for pencil skirts, being round of belly, narrow of hip and flat of butt, but this is somewhere tighter than most of my skirts without being a full-on pencil. The pure wool cloth is very soft, and it's a mixture of black, grey and pale blue with a very faint orange stripe.

I also got two pairs of pinstriped trousers. I’d managed to wear though the fabric or kill the zip on all my existing trousers, and while my motto has usually been, “Don’t buy anything with a gusset secondhand”, I decided to try buying trousers anyway - after all, I could wash them, and you’d hope people wore knickers with them. Now I have two very nice pairs for work, one lightweight enough for summer. I’d already realised I’ll probably never need to buy a new winter work skirt ever again, and I suspect I’ll never need to buy brand new trousers now either. (More money to spend on SHOES.)

My final win was in British Heart Foundation, a chiffon, peasanty dress. As soon as I saw the fabric I loved it. It’s only New Look, and the style is pretty modern, but the print reminds me of the 1930s dresses I’ve seen and loved but can neither fit into nor afford. Mr Robot wasn’t very impressed with it, but then he’s not the one who’ll be wearing it to work.

Aaaah, secondhand success feels good.

On the shopping front, there'll be the first Trowbridge vintage market on the 29th June, as part of the annual (and impressive) Armed Forces Weekend. If you're in the area, why not come along?

Comments

  1. I love charity shop hauls! You did well, I do like the jacket. You'll have to post more pics, I'd like to see the 1930's style dress.

    My other half came back from the bootsale on the weekend with a present for me - simple black dress from Next, quite classic and easy to style in a vintage way. Then he pulled out this amazing suit from River Island in a sort of 1960s Soul style, that fits him like it was tailored and the guy had only worn once, and told me he'd got both the dress and the suit for 3 quid!! He's so jammy!

    Oh and I got 2 chiffon headscarves for 50p, dead ringers for the ones that are £8 from Deadly is the Female.

    We can never shop in normal shops again...

    P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you should send him shopping more often. That sounds like a fantastic haul.

      I like Deadly's stuff, but they're very pricy. (And it probably wouldn't suit me anyway!) I might drop in when I'm in Frome at the weekend anyway.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, more pics please.

    My best charity shop score was a Brora wool pleated skirt for £4.99. I did try and offer them more but they insisted the price was right.

    And I do find it very hard to shop in normal shops now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to go for charity shops or small indie firms like Heyday nowadays. Normal shops aren't as much fun.

      Delete
  3. I just roared with laughter at your secondhand gusset rule. I love it when you have one of those days where the bargains just keep appearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it's a good rule. "Never eat spherical meat" is another one. Much better advice than you'd get from GOOP, I promise you ;-)

      Delete
  4. I can't keep out of charity shops, it's like the donkey and the carrot! I have also got a few things from ebay that cost a packet new but I bought for under twenty quid.
    I get such a kick out of finding once expensive clothes for very little. That's what boredom does to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting something high-quality for very little money is a real thrill, isn't it? I love it when people ask where I got one of my bags and I tell them it was under a fiver in a chazza.

      Delete
  5. Lovely! I do so love a good check print :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great haul. I've got a few second-hand dresses and tops from shops like New Look, which have a very classic style.

    I'm so pleased that the Vintage Market is tying in with the Armed Forces Weekend. It should be brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's becoming a really big event now. I'm looking forward to this year's one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts