Off the top of my head

It’s work team photo shoot day next week, and I’m hoping to get my hair cut on Saturday. I haven’t booked anything; I’ll just see if any of the salons in town can take a walk-up, which probably says something about my general experience with hairdressers. I’m not expecting a miracle, let’s put it that way. I haven’t been in over a year, but it really is looking tatty with overprocessing and needs a cut beyond my usual ‘chop the end off a ponytail’ technique. I’m toying with asking for one of two styles this time.


Option 1: Dana Scully
This breaks my usual rule of ‘don’t wear it if you could have worn it the first time round, as you’ll look like you haven’t changed your style in 25 years’. But dammit, Gillian Anderson was so beautiful as Scully – and indeed still is, though the mid-90s look is the Scully-cut I prefer. It might look a bit mumsy on me, but then I’m a tubby woman in my 40s, I’m intrinsically mumsy anyway. But would it require the purchase of a lot of sleek trouser suits, eh? She's up there with Katharine Hepburn when it comes to women who look good in smart trousers.

Option 2: Emma Peel
No, I’m not going to look like Diana Rigg. I’m not going to kid myself there. But that hairstyle does look relatively achievable for me, unlike pretty much every other ’do in the universe. This is the option I’m favouring right now, though it might be a little more work to keep up than the Scully cut. As a bonus, it would go with the small collection of 1960s dresses I seem to be slowly building up. I’ve just bought a new one online, which is either 60s or 80s-does-60s; the colours and print are keeping me guessing so I’m waiting to see the label. Either way, it’s peak Mim, with a very simple shape and a graphic print in bright colours. And a bit of navy. GOTTA HAVE SOME NAVY, eh?

Anyway, what do you reckon, Scully or Peel?

In case you’re wondering what I’ll wear for the photo shoot, it’s dead simple: T-shirts. I almost always wear T-shirts. Traditional cut (men’s cut, as they’re called nowadays, though when I was growing up it was the only shape, and I’m still annoyed that nowadays T-shirts are gendered). I try to look nice without actually asking for any further attention than ‘oh, she exists’. It’s better to come across as one of the blokes. So I’ll probably take my favourite Cathulu one and nick a couple of old band T-shirts out of Pete’s drawer. I’ll save my nice dresses for you!

Comments

  1. Scully! You've already got the specs too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both look very Mim although I'm leaning towards the Diana Rigg as you'd still be able to put it up if you're travelling.
    Looking forward to seeing the dress, it sounds fab. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a weeny bit too small, but hopefully my current weight loss plans will sort that out. It's made by Fredrick Howard of London, definitely 60s/60s looking at the label.

      Delete
  3. It's a dilemma! I do love the Scully, which I admit might be easier to keep up, but I think you'll look absolutely amazing with the Peel! Can't wait to see which one you'll go for. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honestly amazed at how split the vote is - I asked on Twitter and got a virtual 50/50 split. Argh. Decisions!

      Delete
  4. I vote for a longer version of the Scully bob because it is versatile and won't require rollers (might need a flat iron depending on how much wave your hair has). If you're "Mumsy" then you're the hot one everyone else is jealous of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must admit, washing is about all I do with my hair... I don't even use a hairdryer!

      Delete
  5. I vote for Scully.
    The "lob" or long bob that Scully is wearing is still totally 'on trend' now but updated with beachy waves. From the photos your hair looks very fine in texture so I'd stick to styles that are shoulder length or shorter. Emma Stone is rocking a red lob with beachy waves. http://www.johncarne.co.uk/hair-tutorials/get-emma-stones-beach-wave-bob/ That pearl gray Scully is wearing and that lilac mauve Emma has on would look fab on you too! (I went to hairdressing school when I was 18 & actually worked as a hairdresser for 5 yrs before switching to pharmacy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. The thought of looking on trend actually makes me step back from that one! I'm rubbish at keeping up with things, so I'd look horribly dated in three years' time...

      My hair is fine, but there's masses of it - every hairdresser I have grizzles about how much I've got.

      Delete
  6. Both are versatile cuts. I'm a bit a cut it all off kinda gal and worry about the consequences later! Looking forward to seeing the new do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it always grows back, so I'm never too bothered if it doesn't look right. To be honest, I've rarely been happy with a cut; I envy people with perfect hair!

      Delete
    2. I'm always in a state of some kind of regrowth! Maybe these perfect hair folk spend more time on it than I can be bothered with?!

      Delete
  7. Too late for the party as ever as I'm guessing the deed was done yesterday! I would go for the Scully though too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lazy and didn't leave the house over the Bank Holiday weekend apart from to go to Tesco, so now I'm getting it cut in my lunch break tomorrow.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts