|Off to work I go!|
I finished knitting this cardigan back at the end of June, but it took me until August to weave in all the ends and sew it together. If you do any sort of craft, you may well understand the fear of finishing. In the same way as Schroedinger's Cat is simultaneously alive and dead until you look in the box, the cardigan is simultaneously perfect and a disaster until it's sewn up. In the end, I wouldn't say it's either perfect or a disaster, but the things I like about it outnumber the things I dislike. I only really dislike one thing, and that's the body length. Mr Robot's sole comment when I tried it on after sewing it all up was 'It's a bit small', which didn't help. I've worn it a couple of times now, though, and am growing to like it.
The pattern is Bestway 1491, which I got as a free download from 1940s Style For You (thanks, lady!). I made it a bit larger in the body, and adapted it to be knitted in one piece to the armpits, which dramatically reduced the number of ends I had to weave in and sewing to do later on. The one thing I didn't think to do was add an extra pattern repeat in the body. I've knitted a few vintage patterns and they're always too short in the body on me, so why I didn't bear that in mind is anyone's guess. The arms are fine, and it falls to the right place at the back, so I can only conclude that my oversized bust is causing the problem at the front. With a plain knit I'd be able to work in a few 'short rows' at bust level to accommodate my front, but I'm not sure how to do that with fair isle. An extra pattern repeat would have lowered the back slightly, but I could have lived with that.