Help build a museum to Nikola Tesla!

Nikola Tesla could finally gain a fitting memorial.

Remember I changed my New Year’s Resolution? Well, I’ve been sort-of keeping the replacement. The new one was actually a two-part resolution, and one part was to put something into the trolley for my local food bank every time I’m in a supermarket that has one, which I’ve been successful at.* I’ve been less good at finding vintage/steampunk/dieselpunk kickstarters that I want to chip into. So far I’ve only managed one, and that didn’t get enough funders so I got my money back.

Anyway, I have got a fundraising thing for August. A group of people are seeking to raise money, via Indiegogo, to build a museum to Nikola Tesla on the site of his laboratory, which still has some structures in place. The Oatmeal is supporting the campaign. (They also have a page on Why Tesla Was the Greatest Geek Who Ever Lived.) As the other people trying to buy the site plan to turn it into a shopping area, I really hope the museum-planners get it. If you are thinking, 'Let's Build a Goddamn Tesla Museum', join in!

And, just to prove to you the awesomeness of Tesla, here is Grieg's 'In The Hall of the Mountain King' played on Tesla coils.

*If you’re financially able to do something similar, I really recommend it. There have been some truly horrendous news stories on Radio 4’s Today programme about parents going without meals to feed their kids, kids not having proper food… One lady ended up in hospital with malnutrition. This shouldn’t happen in a first world country! I know an extra tin of tomatoes or bag of pasta makes very little difference to me each time I go shopping, but over a year I’ll have bought enough to make a real difference to people’s lives and it’s so easy.

Comments

  1. Off to investigate! (whilst singing OMD Tesla Girls... Tesla Girls...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts