British Library digitising WWI memorabilia

The Today programme this morning (BBC Radio 4) had a feature on the British Library's appeal for people to allow the digitisation of their World War I memorabilia. The digitised items will be put on the 'virtual museum' Europeana 1914-1918. This is a pan-European site that will show as much of the history of World War I as possible, covering all classes, countries and sides.

Europeana are holding roadshows that you can take your items along to, or you can put stories and photographs up yourself at the Europeana site. (The next two roadshows to go along to are in Slovenia.) Of course, you still keep your treasures! That's the beauty of this project, that it enables everyone to share their family history with people around Europe and the rest of the world, while still owning their items. I know many people reading this blog have a love of vintage items and may own some fascinating things from the Great War. If you do, please do consider sharing it in virtual form via the Europeana site.

See some photos of World War I memorabilia already digitised by the British Library on the Today programme's website.

Comments

  1. WOW!!! This is what I get for NOT listening to Radio 4 enough!!! Shame on me!!! What a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you as soon as I heard it! I wasn't sure if you'd have anything for them. Check out the virtual museum, there are some fascinating items and heartbreaking stories there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts