Who ordered an early autumn?

Send it back, we haven't had summer yet!

Honestly, when we had a lovely June I thought we'd get a proper summer this year, then July was miserably wet, and August appears to have disappeared and we're having an early September. On the plus side, it's really putting me in the mood for my trip to Spain later this year. We usually go to Spain in the autumn, and this year we're having a couple of days in Madrid, as I really want to visit El Escorial, the palace, and then we're heading up to Zaragoza for a few days. I don't have any firm plans there, and I'm trying not to make any - I want it all to be a surprise, and to be able to do things as the mood takes us. There will be art, there will be beautiful buildings, and there will be tapas, but exactly what and when will remain a mystery.

In the mean time, my tomatoes are growing well. I don't have a greenhouse, so they're on the patio, and while they're all still green there are a lot of them. Hopefully some will be ripe by the end of the month. The apples are already coming off the tree. I've also cut up a couple of logs, ready for lighting the fire when the days get colder. At this rate it could be very soon - I need to cut more logs.


At least autumn will mean time to get my woolly jumpers and skirts out again. I've had enough of summer clothes (or, more accurately, a wardrobe full of summer clothes I can't wear). Are you looking forward to getting out the winter warmers again? I still haven't sewn the last sleeve on my 'It Cannot Fail To please' jumper; as with the logs I might need it sooner than expected, so should get on and do it. I actually dug out my thick black tights this morning.

Given how awful things in the news have been, this week I signed up to sponsor a woman affected by war with Women For Women. Stories coming out of the middle east about the treatment of the Yazidi women break my heart. Sponsorship will enable a woman to be supported, get an education/training, set up a business possibly, and that means it's not just she who benefits, but her children/dependent elderly relatives, and ultimately her community. WFW work in places like Bosnia, Iraq, South Sudan... I don't care where my 'sister' will be from, I just hope I'm able to help her, and to extend a hand of friendship - and I wish she didn't need me.

Anyway, that was an uncharacteristically serious ending. I hope you're having a good week, with apples and all good things ripening. And that all your woollies are moth-free!

Comments

  1. It wasn't me who ordered the early Autumn! I am not excited about colder weather fashions yet. I'll be in Spain in two weeks - after that I'll give-in and get the jumpers out I'm sure. I refuse to wear tights until October though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn is the perfect time for Spain, isn't it - catching that last lingering bit of good weather.

      Delete
  2. I live for the Summer and you and Porcelina are making me insanely jealous, I need sun! I was so close to booking a cheap flight last week, I can't wait till January to feel warm again!!
    We've eaten three tomatoes so far, they were gorgeous. The courgettes, after a good start, got munched by the bloody slugs.
    Women For Women sounds like a wonderful scheme. i shall investigate. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a workmate who has a courgette glut, so I've no fear of running out of those any time soon.

      I support quite a lot of charities, so was wary about taking on another Direct Debit, but this is so important to me.

      Delete
  3. It wasn't me either! I hope we'll at least have a warm September, as we'll be off for a week's holiday near the Belgian coast for a week. I bet you're looking forward to Spain. Not making too many plans in advance is the best way to enjoy your holiday. Although I haven't worn a lot of my summer wardrobe, a little part of me is longing to be reacquainted with my winter stuff ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I never think of Belgium as having a coast, but your photos of it last time you went were lovely. I wonder where my thinking that it is landlocked come from?

      Delete
  4. Ugh, no Autumn here yet-still hot and sticky.

    That's a kind thing to sponsor someone-it is something to do when it feels so hopeless. I have to be honest, I'm not in a very good frame of mind at the moment. I'm not alone, of course but that's hardly a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't begin to imagine how awful it must be, being Jewish in a place where Nazi rallies are that large, that well-supported. We do get similar idiots trying to rally in this country, but they usually get counter-demonstrated/closed down. Never forget the Battle of Cable Street, UK...

      I try to turn my negative feelings to something positive. Arseholes trying to keep women, LGBTQ people, minorities down? I try to help raise people up in response. I refuse to give in to hate or fear - or waste so much of my energy on idiots that I don't have any to spare for people who are actually worth spending time, money and energy on.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry, it's my fault summer has disappeared. I had two sleeveless dresses planned to make this summer and the minute I started the first one the weather changed. I've finished one, which I haven't actually worn yet as it's too cold, and am halfway through the second. I've come to the conclusion now that they'll be great for when it warms up next year. Here's looking forward to the Autumn wardrobe! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get over how Autumnal it has become! It should be baking hot and instead the leaves are turning. I too am off on my hols in a couple of weeks but only to Bournemouth so the weather better improve a bit by then or else...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ate the Monsoon so I am eagerly looking forward to Sept 1 as that's when the rains usually stop. Or slow at least. This time of year I wonder if it's possible that anything will dry out. Then the big festivals start & in October my niece is getting engaged so lots of activities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mim!
    I am so super-proud of you for deciding to make such a step. Recognizing that there is someone who has lot less (of everything) than us, and then stepping forward and actually doing something about it - damn, I'm happy to know you and so glad you're such a giver!

    ...
    As for summer: don't say I haven't invited you over to my place! :)
    We've had our.. bang! Yes, that's what I chose to describe the hottest summer EVER recorded in these parts of the world! Days on end with temperatures in high 30 Celsius - and even now, when the weather is supposed to settle down - we are going to have another heat wave.
    Hey, you still have the time to come. It's starts on Thursday, so pack your bags and go! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, it's not my only regular charity donation, I have five others! They cover all sorts of things, from elderly people to supporting a local arts centre. But I know I am a very lucky person and want to share that.

      I am determined to make it to Serbia one day. Pete misses Spain - it's his happy place - so we're going there this autumn, and to India next spring, but who knows after that?

      Delete
  9. I didn't order Autumn either! I do love it but I also like all the seasons in their proper place. Picked 50 apples off our tree today, am sure they are early too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a LOT of apples. You're going to be all right for pies for the next month.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts