Cardigans: srs subject is srs!

I really like this. I can definitely
see one of these in my future!

Okay, cardigans are really quite a frivolous subject. But I've got a big something-to-wear-over-navy gap in my wardrobe and thought that I'd knit a navy cardi now I'd finished the gold jumper. Because it's good to step outside of your comfort zone every once in a while, I thought I'd put away my Susan Crawford books and dig out my late 50s/ early 60s Vogue Knitting books. I opted for those as they did multi-sized patterns including some in my size, and the 1960s straight-up-and-down look is actually quite flattering to moderate apple figures like mine where there's very little waist definition.
There is a lot of mustard in my 1960s knitting
books. A good time to be a redhead...

Well, as Obi-Wan might have said (except he's never around to tell you when you need him, the git), these were not the cardigans I was looking for. I've already got a pack of navy 4ply, limiting my options, and in the 1960s synthetic fibres became trendy because they meant you could have a super-thick yarn that wasn't really heavy and didn't take days to dry, so there were lots of patterns that wouldn't work at all with the yarn I've got. The cardigans I could find were very plain and utilitarian, and I'd like to make something a bit more special than a boxy knit with pockets so those were out. I found some absolutely ripping little suits that I'm keen to knit, but my quest for a cardigan pattern continues. Tonight I grit my teeth, go back to the Stitchcrafts and older knitting books and prepare for some serious maths...

In the meantime, enjoy some 1960s knitted prettiness.

Comments

  1. Hope you find a great pattern soon. :)

    I love that chunky roll neck. Only without the balaclava!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts