Half a century

A red-headed white woman in an olive green velvet suit

I'm 50! In fact, as I'm writing this in late March, I've been 50 for nearly a month. 

I'd been a bit angsty in the run-up to my birthday. It wasn't so much turning 50, as the fact that the next 'big' birthday after that is 60. Feeling my mortality a little, perhaps. Anyhow, I didn't want a lot of fuss, so on the day itself Mr Robot and I went for lunch at what's probably my favourite restaurant in Bath, Chez Dominique. I got given some lovely jewellery, including earrings from my husband and a silver dragon pendant from my father and stepmother, vouchers for other places I like to eat in Bath, and book tokens. 

Those book tokens were well-spent. I dropped into Toppings, one of Bath's excellent indie bookshops, and got two hardback beauties: Pretty Gentlemen: Macaroni Men & The 18th-Century Fashion World and Death: A Graveside Companion (how could I resist a lavishly-illustrated book containing over 1,000 images of morbit artworks?). Really I only had the vouchers for one or the other, but as I mentioned in my last post, I'm trying to say YES more instead of thinking myself out of things, and so I got both books. Let's face it, gothic art and vintage menswear is very me.

Two hardback books: Pretty Gentlemen: Macaroni Men & The 18th-Century Fashion World and Death: A Graveside Companion

The weekend after Mothering Sunday Mr Robot and I spent a couple of nights in Norwich. I hadn't wanted my family to come and see me for my birthday – really wasn't in the mood for a lot of fuss – but I'm well aware that I'm fortunate to have my family, and the older members won't be around forever. We stayed in Norwich so we could enjoy evenings out, but we saw mum every day, and on the Saturday had lunch with mum, her partner, and my brother. (His family were invited but didn't come.) 

The facade of the St Giles House Hotel, Norwich. It is very grand, carved of cream stone, with ornate windows. The building is three storeys tall, and has Greek-style columns the height of the first two storeys.
The front of our hotel, St Giles House Hotel

We stayed at St Giles House Hotel – it's really nicely located in the centre, but has parking too. The building was formerly an insurance head office, and the front and public rooms are very grand. One of the staff told us the basement (which dates from the 15th century) links up to the tunnels under the city and was used in wartime, as the people organising the war effort avoided taking to the streets. 

I really liked wandering round Norwich. When I was a kid, we'd go to the city one weekend a month for a day out with my dad (my parents were divorced by then), and it was fun seeing what had changed and what was the same. The city centre still has a very medieval layout and the council seems to have resisted the high-rises plaguing most cities, and as such it feels very human in scale. It's also a city where people live in the centre, it's not all students and Air BnB, and so there are things like ironmongers and a bustling market, and loads of indie shops. The hippie shop that always seemed vaguely intimidating to me as a youngster was still there, the costume jewellery shop where I bought so many of my teenage treasures (though rather tackier nowadays – or maybe it always was and I hadn't realised), and, best of all, The Games Room, which helped make me the nerd I am today, is still on Elm Hill. I was so pleased to see it. And yes, I went in and bought some miniatures. It was a lovely trip. 

The facade of the Games Room, Elm Hill, Norwich
This unassuming shop was crucial to my nerdery...

Anyway, I shall end this post here. I have been saying YES to other things (a weekend talk on gothic fiction, tickets to see Nosferatu with live organ accompaniment later in the year), and fate has been saying NO to others (our cattery is fully booked, so no trip for our wedding anniversary this year, sob!) But more on all those things in future...

Comments

  1. Happy Belated Birthday, Gorgeous! You look so good in that flamboyant trouser suit.
    I giggle when I tell people that I'm nearer 70 than I am 40, I don't feel any different to how I did at 20 but the mirror tells a different story!
    I absolutely love the look of those books (Death and vintage fashion, oh yeah!) and your trip to Norwich sounds great. That hotel looks marvellous.
    What a shame about the cattery and not being able to celebrate your anniversary away. I wish you lived closer, our cat lady is brilliant (bit of a long trip from Dudley for her!) I'm all about saying YES to as much as I can and having been momentarily held back with my eye makes me even more keen to live for now.
    You ought to squeeze in a trip to Brum, Victorian Radicals is on until October and there's so much other good stuff - I think you'd love The Indian Brewery as much as I dod. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The suit is olive velvet with a very subtle Morris print - and a rather louder print in the lining. It's jolly comfy.

      Luckily we'd already arranged a belated birthday trip for late spring, and now we've booked a winter getaway too. Got to keep saying YES to things!

      Delete
  2. Happy milestone birthday, Mim! As a footnote, the next one won't be too bad either :-)
    Saying YES to more things sounds like the way forward. I shall take a leaf out of your book! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES is a good word. I'm now annoyed at myself for all those years I spent talking myself out of things!

      Delete
  3. Happy 50th, Mim, welcome to the club! You celebrate the way you want to - I love the sound of your overnighter. Every year deserves to be celebrated! Your books look fascinating, and how cool to see pics of your old haunts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday, Mim! Fifty is nothing these days and as long as you keep saying YES to things you'll still be able to cram in a lot no doubt :-). That showing of Nosferatu you've got lined up sounds a corker, for one thing. Loving those books - especially the Pretty Gentleman one, of course. A lot of my family live in or around Norwich too so I recognise your description of the place well. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday, Mim! A big roundy one, too..same as me! I spent my 50th birthday in Bath with OH on a birthday treat weekend away paid for by my lovely mum. I also really enjoyed visiting Norwich for the first time a few years ago for a family reunion; it's a lovely city. Your hotel looked amazing. I'm so glad you're saying yes to more things and it seems like you're really enjoying say yes! You look fabulous in your trouser suit btw.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts