So, this is February

A redheaded woman in a black dress

Is the year looking brighter for you yet? It's starting to feel a bit better to me. The brighter weather is definitely part of it – Mr Robot and I can sit in the garden after work when it's not quite dark, and notice the bulbs coming through. (Now-me is very pleased that past-me went a bit bananas ordering bulbs on Parkers' website. We're probably not going to be sitting in a pub beer garden in April, so our own garden will have to do.) 

I went into Bath for the first time since September recently – I had a dentist appointment, and as I had cancelled the one I'd booked at the start of lockdown I thought I really shouldn't put off another check-up. The day was grey and damp anyway, but even so I was startled at how empty the city was. It's always busy, and even last September it was surprising how many tourists there were. The train I got is usually a commuter train and whether I'll get a seat is uncertain; this time I had a whole carriage to myself. Friends in other parts of the country that have had worse Covid numbers reckon their towns are still fairly busy, so I guess this is a sign of why infections are lower in the south-west – people have been very good at distancing and isolating. 

Pultney bridge. The sky above is grey, and large amounts of water are rushing through the arches of the bridge and over the weir.
My dentist is just over Pultney Bridge.

It did feel very eerie walking past big shops like Debenhams and Top Shop knowing they'd never open again. When all this is over, we'll have a new normal to adjust to – let's hope it's one where people enjoy things like smaller festivals and indie shops, not just shopping online and only the big events. If lockdown should teach us anything, it's to enjoy what's right there, to make the most of our lives, not to crave what everyone else is declaring 'the best' and live in an endless state of FOMO. On the subject of enjoying what's there, I got myself a takeaway latte from the Bridge Café near my dentist, and it felt like such a rare treat. I only drink coffee a few times a year, but every mouthful of that latte was heaven!

I've bought myself a few other treats too. The Cornish Cheese Company had a glut of Cornish Blue because lockdown had closed a lot of their usual outlets, so I did my bit for the British cheese industry and ordered a whole 800g one. Herb plants should be on their way – we cook a lot of south-east Asian food and you can't get things like Vietnamese coriander/rau ram or holy basil in the supermarkets, so I'm going to grow my own. 

A bowl of ramen, with chopsticks and a wooden spoon beside it.
Some ramen made by Mr Robot.

And a Tweetie mentioned Ffern, which does small batches of organic perfume four times a year, as the seasons turn. I got lucky and a space came up on their ledger, so I joined. I'm not sure work intended the working from home bonus they gave us to go on cheese and perfume, but it's doing me good!

A bottle of perfume lying next to a box saying 'Ffern: Winter 21'

Haven't made much (magazines for the day job aside), but I have been slowly working on old projects. Even if nothing's getting finished, the sense of progress is a soothing one. 

Finally, I've been regularly tweeting about the state of things in Burma/Myanmar. There's been a military coup there following last year's elections, and the people are protesting for democracy but internet access is being limited more and more, and the situation's becoming increasingly brutal, so people like me who can't be harmed for spreading information really need to step up and do it. Please keep that beautiful country and its brave people in your mind!

Comments

  1. I'm glad to hear it's starting to feel a bit better for you. February usually is the month when I'm at my lowest, and this year it's been really hard because of losing Phoebe. But at least we had some sunny days to enjoy, even if they were accompanied by freezing cold and a carpet of snow. I went a bit mad with the Spring bulbs too, but apart from a couple of exceptions, I don't really remember which ones I put where, so that'll be a surprise. There are lots of green shoots everywhere! And it's certainly not wrong to treat oneself now and again! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a weird month for us on a personal level - the 13th is the anniversary of my mother-in-law's death, so that's always a proper low, it hits my husband hard. But my birthday's on the 26th and that always brings him up again.

      I hope the bulbs are doing well :-) My dwarf irises are out already.

      Delete
  2. Cheese and perfume would definitely encourage better work out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm kind of viewing it as a mental health thing. Being kind to myself in the pandemic.

      Delete
  3. Now the snow has gone and it's feeling warmer and we've got less than 8 weeks till us ver 50s get jabbed (according to the official website) things are definiately looking up!
    The situation in Myanmar is really awful. Well done for highlighting it.I've got Channel 4 news on in the background and they've just mentioned a report coming from there later.
    I bought a Vietnamese coriander from the plant man at Towersey a couple of years ago, I'm racking my brain trying to think of his website as he's bound to have some in stock. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I hope you get jabbed soon. I think Pete and I are at the bottom of the priority list; no idea when they'll get round to us.

      I've friends with relatives and pals out there, and they're understandably fraught. It's a horrible situation.

      Delete
  4. Very wise words, Mim. My heart goes out to the people of Myanmar. I've never tasted Cornish Blue but I do like blue cheese. Hope all your bu;bs bloom!

    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cornish blue has a brie-like quality, but is much firmer. I really like it. (Good job, as I got an 800g truckle!)

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear that February is looking brighter and hope that bulbs and herbs make your garden a delightful place. I totally enjoy some plants growing in my balcony, they're cheering me up!
    I hope that we can teach something of the lockdown and make the most of our lives, as you said. Many people still want to go back to the previous situation, as if nothing had happened last year. And this is nonsensical. I think it's better to adapt ourselves and enjoy whatever we have Now.
    Totally understand that you invested in some cheese and parfums! mwaha! supporting sustainable businesses!. I've been buying the best quality food I can afford, I consider it's always a great idea!. And we have to indulge ourselves with some delicious food at home, as restaurants are not an option these days!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good food is definitely worth spending on. I do miss restaurants!

      Delete
  6. Can't go wrong with a bit of cheese! I'm so glad the weather seems to finally be on the turn and all the bulbs I went a bit mad buying are coming through too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Myanmar is scary - my heart goes out to those folks!

    I'm glad things are looking clearer in your neck of the woods, Mim, and glad you had a whole train car to yourself on the way to the dentist (how posh!). What a lovely place Bath is! I do hope that people will appreciate their small businesses when we can go back to "normal" - I'm hoping for being able to have small gatherings again come spring. Fingers crossed! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to read your post. It was miserable when it was so cold and grey a couple of weeks ago, but this bit of February does feel very cheering (the sun is shining, the sky is blue, a clump of miniature daffodils in my garden opened in yesterday's sun, it stays light a lot longer than last month.) I hope that indie shops will benefit from the fact that we are all longing to talk to people face to face - supermarkets just don't do it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts