Black and white and dread all over


Hullo! I thought being in lockdown would make me more productive, but it’s all so terribly draining*, isn’t it? So you haven't heard much from me, unless you also see my nonsense on Instagram. (Gluttons for punishment, some people...) I’ve still been getting up, putting makeup on, and dressing fairly nicely every day. I actually find the makeup really useful: even if I wake up feeling pretty blue, making myself have my shower and put on my slap prepares me for the working day ahead – and my poor team-mates who see me on Google hangouts each morning are probably grateful for the effort.

Last Thursday I wore this black-and-white 1960s top by Klopman. I got it with a matching skirt, new with old tags. Naturally I've kept the tags. I always think of this as 'too small', but while the waist on the skirt is a bit tight, the top's fine. I ought to make a different skirt to wear it with; I think a classic black pencil would be perfect – and I do need one of those.


Last week’s Seriously Fuck Casual Friday outfit was a real favourite of mine, an amazing 1960s dress with a teal, spring green, and olive print of enormous chrysanthemums. I don’t wear it very often but I should definitely get it out more. (It's yet another 'this won't fit... Oh!' item – I'm starting to suspect a small body image problem is at work.)

I wasn’t really in the mood for SFCF because the previous day a few magazines had been closed by my parent company, and I was concerned for the staff affected, and concerned also for the future of my own publications, but making the effort to dig out something special and put on my ‘face’ actually helped stop the sadness overwhelming me. This week has, so far, been much better. I’m just going to do the work I’ve got, and I’ll worry about the future when it gets here.

One positive in the future will be tomato plants! I potted up some seeds – tomatoes and aubergines, cornflowers, scarlet california poppies and mixed snapdragons, basil and coriander – and all of them are now sprouting. I ordered some more seeds from Suttons but apparently sellers are all getting overwhelmed right now. (Tip: if, like me, you’re going to need growbags, get them now while shops have them in, because in a few weeks when everyone wants one they won’t be available.) There’s something wonderful about getting out in the garden and seeing all the plants starting to spring back.

We'll all be like the plants – we'll all spring back from this.


*A number of friends have mentioned struggling to sleep right now – none of us can work out if it’s anxiety, or lack of exercise, or maybe even something like lack of natural light/vitamin D, but it seems to be a pretty universal experience. So a lot of us seem to be both weary and not sleeping.

Comments

  1. I've found my sleep patterns are trying very hard to go to what is "natural" for me: sleep at 1 or 2am, wake up at 8 or 9am. This has always felt much more "me" and of course, it's been a struggle when work demands you get there at 8:30am. I'm enjoying the change of hours, but when I DO have to work, it's just brutal getting up so early (6:30am!).

    I love your black and white top - and love that you kept the tags! - and yes, to a pencil skirt with it! Your chrysanthemum top made me exclaim "YES!" out loud - how GORGEOUS that is!

    Glad to hear you're getting your gardening on, Mim. I'm not a plant grower at all, so I always have a great admiration for those who have green thumbs. Take care, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have a 6:20 start and it is hard! I'm a morning person, but I like my mornings to start a little later, in winter at any rate - as long as there's light in the sky I'm good to go.

      I do love those 60s prints. So full-on!

      Delete
  2. That black and white top would look smashing with white trousers too-something with super-wide legs.

    Fingers crossed for your publications. Looking forward to hearing about your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always scared of my underwear showing through white trousers - I've seen what's beneath pale trousers too often! I'd worry about falling into that trap. Tho if the trouser fabric was sturdy enough it might work.

      Delete
  3. I always keep vintage tags too! Your black and white top is amazing, the pattern is very Mid Century. It would be amazing with a black pencil skirt or a black wide-legged trousers. Your teal, spring green and olive dress is a stunner and looks especially fabulous with the colour of your hair! I'm only working 2 days a week now, and today is the first day of my temporary partial unemployment, but I dressed up and put make-up on as if I was going to work. I wouldn't feel me if I didn't. I'm hearing you on the unproductiveness, though. I had all kinds of plans for today and what did I do? Exactly! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dressed and made up is a good way to start the day. I'm putting much more care into the little things - making increasingly laborious lunches too. I am still doing a five-day week, though, which I really appreciate as it puts structure into my time. Two days a week must be tough!

      Delete
  4. I love both your scribble top and that wonderfully blousy floral dress.
    I must be a very strange person as I'm being ultra productive and making the most of every minute of lockdown time, I haven't missed the pub or charity shops and I can talk to my friends on the phone and Facebook.
    Like you I get dressed and put makeup on every morning, it helps give the day some structure and I feel far more efficent and business like when I know I look okay.
    There's some brilliant professional nurseries on eBay, we've ordered seeds and had them delivered within 24 hours - keep posting your gardening progress to keep me motivated. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting better this week, though some evenings I just go *flomp*. I am considering signing up with Rosetta Stone so Pete and I can do Spanish lessons in the evenings after work.

      I shall try to do more gardening this weekend - I'm watering a neighbour's too as she's in lockdown with her sister, otherwise she'd be alone.

      Delete
  5. That's the spirit, Mim! What a lot of nice things you have to look forward to in your garden. You look like Spring in that wonderful green floral 60s dress. I also love the black and white top; a pencil skirt would be fab with it!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have things growing. There's something so wonderful about seeing tiny seeds turn into something beautiful!

      Delete
  6. I love both the top and dress and I agree with Goody a black skirt or black trousers would be perfect. I look forward to seeing more of your garden too.

    I've been working flat out, we are so busy at the moment so days are flying by. I do feel like I am missing exercise though. I only put on make-up when there is a zoom or skype call otherwise I'm letting the old skin rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that you're keeping busy! I'd rather have too much work than no work/no job.

      The garden is a bit boring at the mo, but should start looking cheerier as the month rolls on. All my first batch of seeds have germinated now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts