Apples for an apple

I finished sewing this skirt over the Easter weekend but you’re only seeing it now because I really wanted to wear these shoes with it, and as they’re a sort of snake-patterned suede I wasn’t prepared to wear them when there was still a threat of rain. It was gloriously sunny yesterday, so I was finally able to wear it. I’d wanted to wear it with a lime-green T-shirt and red cardi, but when I put the T-shirt on at the weekend I was concerned it was a bit too tight, so hopefully that outfit variation will get an outing later in the summer.


Now, if ever I wanted confirmation that IT’S NOT MY BODY THAT’S THE PROBLEM, IT’S THE CLOTHES, this is it.

It’s the skirt from Simplicity 8246, so a 60s pattern. I love the look of straight skirts generally, but most fitted skirts and dresses don’t love me back. I’m a classic ‘apple’ shape; my shoulders and hips are a couple of dress sizes below my bust and waist. This means I have a choice between fitted waist and shapeless bum, or nicely fitted bottom overhung by the mother of all muffin tops. Whenever I wear a straight or pencil skirt I’m acutely aware of my tummy.

Well, not any more. Tailoring FTW.

I made the skirt in some apple-patterned fabric (Michael Miller ‘Bite Me’) I got cheap in a chazza. Although the pattern doesn’t call for a lining, I decided to put one in anyway to help it hang nicely over my tum. The lining also gave me a chance to test out my pattern adjustments before cutting out the proper fabric. As it happens, it worked perfectly first time. I traced the pattern onto sewable tracing paper: first I copied the waist (with darts) from the larger size, then the bottom part of the smaller size from the hem to the start of the hip curve. Then I rotated the pattern so the hip curve from the larger size met up with the bottom part of the smaller one, and traced that in. And that was it – easy.
Good job it was easy as Ziggy decided to shred my copy of the pattern! When I want to make another one of these I’ll need to trace out another copy.

Observations and future adjustments? I wish I’d thought of matching patterns at the seams. Perhaps I’d chop a few inches off the length to do an above-knee or on-knee variant. But that’s about it. I’m really pleased with this skirt. As with my sleeveless blouse, I can see me making lots of these in different fabrics and colours.

And that’s another make ticked off the Make Nine list too!

Comments

  1. Well done on finding that gorgeous Michael Miller fabric in a chazza.
    The skirt is fantastic, great shape, fab fit and absolutely perfect with those incredible loafers. You are a natural with your sewing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it helps that I was used to thinking about construction and shape with knitting. I'd wanted a machine for years; I can't understand people who have them but never seem to make anything.

      Delete
  2. I really love this. The fabric is utterly bonkers in a vintage "novelty print" kind of way. What a score finding it in a chazza. You have made such a lovely job of sewing it too. That is one of the best things about sewing - being able to fit stuff. Standard RTW sizing really does fit very few people. I suppose everyone just makes do, unless they can go bespoke. Are you going to sew something from your "Make Nine" next? I am oggling that gorgeous fern-pattern crimplene.

    Keep up the fabulous work! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still looking for the right pattern for the crimplene - it doesn't have to be an actual 60s pattern, but I want one that looks like a 60s A-line mini. Then I can have a go with my overlocker!

      Delete
  3. Love how the skirt turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo that looks smart!
    Beautiful job, Mim!
    I'm surprised there is not at least a certain brand that specializes in clothing for apple shapes?
    I have problems with tailors here in Nepal & India as they want to make everything to fit an A or pear shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the plus-size brands tend to cut for hourglasses. Or make nasty cheap-looking viscose sacks that the glitter fairy has thrown up over... thanks to fast fashion, British high street clothing is pretty awful nowadays.

      Delete
  5. Oh, naughty Ziggy! That apple fabric is gorgeous, and I'm glad to hear you've nailed the pattern and that the skirt fits you so perfectly! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper is the one thing he can't be trusted with - well, that and chicken bones in the bin. Otherwise he's a good boy.

      Delete
  6. Goodness me - you look so glamorous!

    I love the skirt pattern and top marks for finding the material in a chazza. The skirt looks lovely on you; I love that green cardigan and the loafers are ace. Well done you, and especially with the alterations at the waist for your tum. I have the same problem as you with the tum but it's my shoulders and bust that are two sizes bigger than my bottom half.

    You've really got this sewing thing going on now - hooray!

    PS. I have a few more patterns to send you; I think I still have your address.

    Hope your week is going well.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for thinking of me for patterns; I will always give them a good home.

      Being able to make things that fit properly feels so good... it's like a whole world of styles I'd thought weren't for me are now mine.

      Delete
  7. That is a really good look on you, yay for colours! The skirt looks very flattering, and I'd love to see detail pictures of it. Love the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely fabric and lovely skirt!, you look fab in it!. And matchy shoes!!
    Also great tips on adjusting a pattern, it feels so good when clothes fit you properly!
    besos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts