Shopping at the Vintage Bazaar

Last time the Vintage Bazaar was in Devizes I missed it - we go to the butcher in Devizes, and on that occasion we bought a bag of pricy giant prawns and I needed to get them home, so no shopping for me. Yesterday there was no such problem As I made sure we went to the Bazaar before the butcher.

Lots of the sellers had vintage fabrics and notions for sale. I hadn't expected to find fabric I liked, but I saw this blue rose fabric and liked it - then as soon as I put it down another person showed an interest and I came over all IT MINE! It's a very silky fabric, so probably won't get used much faster than the slippery silk I bought in India, but it's nice to have it for inspiration. It's got that late 50s/early 60s vibe I really love.


I also got a couple of old books, which I'm very much looking forward to reading.

Today I fired up the sewing machine for the first time. I've got a Butterick repro 60s pattern and a fabric remnant. The idea was to make the top using the remnant, just to get a feel for my machine; I wasn't expecting it to look any good. However, after doing the front and back darts, neckline stay-stitching and even putting in a zip, I'm feeling confident that the top will be genuinely wearable. I might make the top properly using the lovely tile-print cloth I got from Gertie Gusset's Vintage Drawers if the practice one is any good.

More on that for you next week, probably.

Comments

  1. That fabric is gorgeous but will probably be a bear to sew and be careful just to pin in the seam allowance incase the pins make holes. Silk isn't too bad to sew if you cut it out in a single layer with lots of pattern weights to stop it shifting about (tins of stuff are good) and then hand stitch everything to stop it sliding. Your top sounds great. I am really looking forward to seeing what you make. It is so addictive. I was laughing at you with the fabric at the fair. I know that feeling! :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, ta for that. I think I'll be waiting a long time before tackling either fabric.

      BITCH GET OFF I SAW THE FABRIC FIRST! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on sewing your 1st garment! Glad it turned out so well! The ghost book looks fascinating. I'm reading all of Zola again- starting with the delightfully salacious "Nana."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Nana. I'm glad Zola didn't give her the usual Victorian loose woman's death of syphilis...

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous fabric! I have an apron with a very similar print, it's also silky.

    It sounds like you are sewing up a storm already. I still can't put a zip in properly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of amazed I managed the zip, to be honest. The sewing machine is a marvel, it makes everything so easy.

      Delete
  4. Oh, we were there too! What time did you go? I nearly bought some fabric but just ended up buying 1930s sewing and knitting books, as well as a gorgeous 1920s photo postcard. You look like you did well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went early - I wanted to get into town and home before the snow hit, in case it was bad.

      I think I'm still in that new hobbyist phase where I want to buy everything I see and like, just in case I never get the chance again... which is why I have about five crates of knitting yarn at home. Pete's already developed his, "What, more?" face for when he sees me approaching a pile of cloth.

      Delete
  5. That fabric is gorgeous! And this happens with me all the time: once I put something down, and somebody else picks it up, I must have it! Glad to hear your sewing turned out so well. Can't imagine this happening when I finally try mine. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a bit more of the top to do, but now I've got the zip in, I feel like the rest ought to be fairly simple. (It is a very easy pattern.) It'll wind up being the sort of thing that has other sewing people making suggestions for improvements, but will be wearable even so, I reckon.

      Delete
  6. I'm so excited to see your first make, it's so empowering when a pattern comes together and you can wear what you've made. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making it again using my Gertie Gusset fabric is looking more and more enticing, I must confess.

      Delete
  7. Gosh that blue rose fabric looks so familiar...ave I seem someone wearing it recently or is it a distant memory? I have no idea - but it's fabulous!

    I can't wait to see your practice top. You're very good at getting straight into it...

    The books look intriguing.

    Hope you're keeping warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fairly classic midcentury pattern - there's lots of similar stuff about. I think that's what attracted me to it, the fact that it's so very much of its time.

      Definitely keeping warm. The snow has made me glad I'm a knitter.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts