Mostly Ghostly: More Horror For Halloween

Another Halloween means another CD of Halloween music. I had high hopes of Mostly Ghostly, thinking as a mix of 1950s and 1960 novelty songs it would be like These Ghoulish Things. Sadly, it's not everything I'd imagined.

If anything this one reminds me of one of my less-favourite Christmas CDs, Dr. Demento Presents The Greatest Christmas Novelty CD Of All Time, and I own that one because it's got 'I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas' on it. You're probably wondering what a Christmas CD and a Halloween one can have in common. Well, it's that the focus of both is on the comedy aspect of the novelty songs more than the musical ones, so they don't hang together completely satisfyingly as albums. The changes of pace or tone between songs can be too jarring.

That said, there are some corkers on this. Screaming Lord Sutch's ''Til The Following Night', Ronnie Cook And The Gaylads' 'The Goo Goo Muck', The Monotones' 'Zombi', and The Naturals' 'The Mummy' are all ones I'll pop on my Halloween playlist on my iPod, but I could happily never hear Chuck Holden's 'The Cave' or Terry Teen's 'The Hearse' again. So I wouldn't say you'd be wasting your money if you bought this, but the tracks are of variable quality and is probably best if you're adding songs to a playlist rather than playing it from start to finish as an album.

Comments

  1. Save your money and just buy a Cramps album. :) I do love a good comedy album. I can't recommend any specific Hallow'een ones but I do have one by a Northern Irish Elvis impersonator called The King. He does a whole album (and sequel) of songs by dead people in the style of Elvis. It is called "Grasslands" and is fabulous. You will never be able to listen to Nirvana or Queen again without hearing this in your head. Uh - huh ha!! :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, that sounds fun. I've been listening to some Cramps on YouTube and very much enjoying it.

      Delete
  2. ... Aargh. Not "Grasslands" but "Gravelands". Damn this autocorrect. :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pathetic is it that I've never heard any of these songs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them aren't brilliant. You can see why they never became classics!

      Delete
  4. I'll be getting out my Type O Negative cds for Halloween! Reliving the 1990s years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw them live! They were so bad that they were great. :) Xx

      Delete
    2. I don't think I've ever heard anything by them. I've been listening to loads of Neph again. Looooove the Neph.

      Delete
  5. I'm not really into novelty songs, whether for Christmas or for Halloween. I love the Hippopotamus song, though, which I got to know due to Kezzie. From your Halloween CD, I only know Screaming Lord Sutch, though not this song. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet my Herb Alpert Christmas album could change your mind...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts