Birthday fun

It was my birthday on Sunday, and I had a splendid meal. We went to the Olive Tree in Bath and had an eight-course tasting menu. Eight courses sounds like a lot, but the portions are very small, so you're never overwhelmed with food. The menu we had was virtually the same as the sample one on the website, except that there was rose veal instead of the beef, and lemon instead of the rhubarb. I'm not a big fish eater, but I think the two fish dishes - crab lasagne with basil, and brill with cauliflower, shiitake mushrooms and dashi - were my favourites.The romesco cauliflower was ever so slightly charred, which added interest to the flavour.

My least favourite part of the meal was the chocolate pudding. I'm not very sophisticated when it comes to chocolate, and while I know 72% is very high in cocoa solids and supposed to be the good stuff, texturally it struck me as like eating a chocolate-flavoured candle. I actually left half the chocolate ball from that one, though the mandarin mousse and granita was fab.

We had the wine flight with it - five of the courses came paired with a glass of matching wine. The one that really stands out for me was a German red. I love German wine but I've never had a red one before. It tasted almost of lychees, it was remarkable. What with all that wine, and a martini before the meal, and smallish portions of food, I was a bit squiffy by the time we went home...

I did get some other lovely presents, including bath stuff, a scarf from Marija, lingerie from Pete (you're not getting a photo of that...) and...

(It's getting its own paragraph because it deserves it...)

An Edwardian seed pearl and aquamarine necklace! From Pete, obviously. He spoils me. It's less intricate than a lot of Edwardian pendants I've seen, though still very delicate. The aquas are monsters; the round one at the top has to be about 8mm across. I like jewellery, and they are really super aquamarines; a good colour and as clear as anything. They certainly sparkle well. I wore it to dinner, though I'm honestly not sure where else I'll wear it. Clearly he needs to start taking me to even more swanky places. Or maybe I'll wear it to work, just because I can!



Comments

  1. I'm glad you had a fabulous birthday and that necklace is utterly beautiful! Lucky, lucky you, Pete evidently has wonderful taste xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a good chap! Apparently he saw it at Christmas and had to buy it, but as he'd already got me something for Christmas he saved it for my birthday.

      Delete
  2. Looks utterly wonderful, I am glad you were spoilt! The necklace really is a beauty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed. I love Edwardian pieces but never thought I'd own one.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad Pete thoroughly spoilt you and I do love that necklace. It's so delicate whilst still being quite a statement piece. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's an odd mix of delicate and absolutely chunky. The metalwork is so sparse it feels like there's even less of it than a more normal Edwardian piece, yet the stones are monsters.

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday, Mim!

    How nice it is to be spoilt sometimes...

    The food sounds so delicious I was almost dribbling reading about all the different dishes.

    And as for that necklace it is superb. It's far too beautiful not be worn so yes, dang it, wear it to work! What excellent taste Pete has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm easy to please - as long as it sparkles or smells nice, I'm happy.

      Delete
  5. Happy Happy Birthday week to you! Dinner sounded like a real treat. Pete's got excellent taste. That is such a beautiful necklace and please don't wait for a special night out to wear it, it needs to be shown off at every opportunity! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such a magpie. I have all sorts of jewellery, from cheap tat to that necklace, and I love it all. It's making sure I give it all a wearing that's the trick.

      Delete
  6. Belated happy Birthday wishes.

    The necklace is lovely, and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your birthday meal sounds delicious, and your necklace is utterly fabulous. Your hubby really has great taste! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a delish meal too bad the pudding was a bit of a dud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job there were too puddings! I like lemon better anyhow.

      Delete
  9. It's an absolutely gorgeous necklace I'm not surprised Pete chose it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to drag him past jewellery stores more often...

      Delete
  10. Happy belated birthday, Mim. Glad to hear that you had a great time. That necklace is a beauty. What a fabulous pressie. Here's wishing you an amazing year. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope this year will be good for everyone. It can't be worse than 2016.

      Delete
  11. Blast! My crap internet connection must have eaten my previous comment.
    Happy Birthday MIM and that aquamarine necklace is gorgeous! (and so are you!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts