Outfit post: Sightseeing style

I'm not a great wearer of vintage on holiday. For one thing, I travel very light. I managed a fortnight in Burma last year with three pairs of trousers, two T-shirts and a couple of blouses. (I did use the hotel laundry. I travel light, not stinky!)

This year we're in Spain. If you've never been to inland Spain, know this: the Spanish dress well. And they are masters of co-ordination. The first time I went to Seville I was astonished by the accessory shops. The number of them, and the dizzying array of colours and prints... Here in Caceres it's quite rainy and all the ladies carry beautiful, high-quality umbrellas. I suspect they all own a selection to go with different coats! Spain is accessory heaven. Also, if you like marcasite jewellery, there's loads on sale in Spain, so you can get a 1940s look without a vintage price tag.

Here are two outfits from this week.

First up, a Boden 'Monte Carlo' dress. I like this dress, but it's not the right shape for me (the buttons at the front have a nasty habit of popping open). Smart shoes don't really go well with sightseeing, so while I wear nice dresses, the effect is spoiled by my hiking boots! Still, they got me up and down medieval fortifications and the cathedral tower. And my crossbody bag isn't the prettiest one I own, but it does leave my hands free for taking pictures.

In case you're wondering about the location, those photos were taken in Caceres. In the middle ages and early Renaissance, a number of feuding noble families lived in the town and built fortified palaces. You'd think if they disliked each other that much it would have been easier just to live in different towns, but I do like to imagine the lords and ladies griping at each other from their balconies, and perhaps the occasional pair of star-crossed lovers meeting in the shadow of one of the enormous towers.

My second outfit is another Boden dress, worn with my me-made repro cardigan. Again I've got my crossbody bag and hiking boots. We caught the train to Merida to see the Roman ruins, and comfy, practical footwear was a must. I did bring nice shoes to Spain, but so far they've gone unworn, though as we're heading out for dinner tonight I shall probably ditch the boots for that and pop on some jewellery. I've brought my grey pearls with me - got to look smart in the evening.

Do you travel light? Do you travel vintage? Can the two possibly be combined?

Comments

  1. Haha I am a everything plus the kitchen sink traveller, we have a joke about me traveling with 'holiday bricks' packed in my bag because it weighs so much. Sometimes I find it hard to believe I backpacked for 2 months with hardly a pair of knickers to my name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two months' backpacking is pretty good going. How many pairs of shoes do you usually take? I went a bit extravagant this time and took a spare handbag and shoes and then never used them.

      Delete
  2. I like the boots and dresses look-in a few years that will count as a vintage style.

    I travel light, sometimes bringing deliberately disposable clothes on their last threads that can be tossed before returning home. I'm intrigued by your photos and can just imagine some noble in fancy robes sneaking out to stab their enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gutted that there wasn't more information on the feuding families. There must've been some excellent stories there. One of the buildings was built by a descendant of the last Aztec king, which I found mindblowing. I'd never imagined there was Spanish nobility descended from the Aztecs!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a gorgeous place. Like you, I often have the issue of nice dress ruined by hiking boots but needs must! As my holidays tend to be walking/sightseeing/camping I tend not to take my best vintage as I wouldn't want to ruin it. I stick to nice dresses, cardi's and brooches. Hope you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome, thank you. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my attachment to hiking boots.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts