Vintage knits on the needles


I've been feeling good of late, and have got my mojo back for a lot of things, including blogging and knitting. I've got two lovely projects on the needles, as well as that navy cardigan, which I'm actually quite keen to begin work on again. But first, the most important thing I'll possibly ever knit: my friend Sarah's wedding cardigan. In the end Sarah plumped for the first pattern I showed her a picture of, part of an angora twin set from Stitchcraft August 1954. I took a pile of magazines and books when I went to see her, and it turns out the pattern has been reproduced in A Stitch In Time Volume 2, so if you like the look of it, it's an easy pattern to find.

The yarn I'm using is Lang Baby Alpaca. Angora yarn is pretty hard to find nowadays, a far cry from the 1950s when it was commonplace and firms like Patons and Baldwins had farms where their pampered bunnies were regularly brushed and trimmed. (Rabbits are not killed to produce angora, their long fur is clipped.) Although Rowan have brought out an angora-rich yarn, Angora Haze, this season they didn't have the colour I wanted, so I opted for an alpaca as it would be soft and luxurious and have an attractive fuzzy halo, although it won't be quite as fuzzy as angora.

I've also had fun messing around with another Fair Isle beret, knitted from my favourite pattern. Playing with the colours is fun. It'll be a while before it gets finished, though, as the cardigan is taking priority.


Comments

  1. Both projects are looking good. I didn't know that P&B had angora farms, it makes perfect sense but does conjure up some funny mental images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angora farms! I would love to see one in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so you shall! British PathƩ filmed one in the 1940s:

      http://www.britishpathe.com/video/angora-rabbits-issue-title-any-questions/query/Angora+farm

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about the mojo thing. My knitting one went recently and I'm only just getting back into the swing of things by knitting a cowl with an easy pattern repeat. Its easy to do whilst watching tv! What a special thing to be knitting! That will really be an heirloom piece for Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an heirloom piece - I can honestly say that on the day I was more excited by the cardi than by my dress! It kept me wonderfully warm on a chilly day. I love it, no two ways about it - it's also a truly stunning knit. In the end I could believe I picked what looks like a really complicated knit. Thanks Mim!

      Delete
  4. Great stuff and a Fair Isle beret....I am all envy, haha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts