60s Kaufhof dress


Prepare to be amazed – not only am I back, I have some actual vintage to show you. The dress I ordered from Fox And Fable Vintage on Etsy arrived (after 10 days in Customs Hell when I didn’t know what was happening to it) and it is beautiful and it fits. In fact, I was so pleased with it on trying it on this morning I didn’t bother changing out of it, and wore it into the office.

I wasn’t sure if the ribbon stripes at bellybutton level would be flattering, but actually I think they’re good with a large bust. With big boobs there can be a tendency for them to look like they’re sitting on your waist, especially with shorter-waisted styles. This dress makes me look like I have a waist!


The label inside says Kaufhof, which was a big German department store. Their logo hasn’t changed much over the decades, but I’m still convinced this is 60s as the seller said. The modern logo seems to have a pointier 'A' in it. Also Flashbak has an amazing feature on German fashions from 1966-68 and this dress wouldn't be out of place among them. (I have to say there isn’t a garment on that page I wouldn’t wear. Some of those colourful dresses are to die for. Sadly a search for 'kaufhof' on Etsy and eBay didn't come up with anything.)

My workmates say they can tell I’ve lost weight, but I’m not so sure. I’m about 13 pounds down, but I’ve been taking progress shots each month in a tight T-shirt and hotpants and there’s not much difference visible apart from in my face, which is definitely less round. My clothes feel slightly looser, but only slightly, and my proportions are pretty much the same.

I try not to indulge in diet talk on this blog, but after messing both my back and my shoulders up last year I was determined to exercise more and take some weight off my joints. My back is loads better and my shoulders don’t twinge at all now (I CAN DRESS MYSELF), so I’m just going to keep losing weight as it seems to be helping. I’ve promised myself some posh makeup when I’ve lost my first stone. Just got one more pound to shed and it’s mine!

Recommend me some posh makeup because that last pound is going to be gone by payday. I was considering a Charlotte Tilbury lippie, but any recommendations will be considered.

Comments

  1. I seriously LOVE this dress on you, it's fabulous, as it the handbag! (handbag jealousy alert) I think it's never so obvious when you are seeing yourself day by day and week by week but you have most definitely lost weight. I'm glad to hear your back and shoulders are feeling better too.

    The only thing that puts me off Charlotte Tilbury lippie is the ridiculous advert for it that makes me want to smash the TV every time I see it. I gather the make-up is pretty good though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I haven't seen the adverts. I'm still mulling over what to buy - I'm in no rush; when I see something special I want, I'll buy it. I wish Besame could sell their Agent Carter range over here!

      Delete
  2. It really is extremely flattering on you and the blue bag is fab!
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress looks like it was made for you. Nifty handbag too. Posh makeup? You know me, if I have money to burn it goes to Guerlain. Meteorites pressed powder comes in a re-fillable compact and smells like violets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that dress on you, the shape is perfect, that waist detail does wonders for your slimmer shape. Talking of which, well done on the weight loss, what a result.
    I know nothing about posh makeup but highly recommend Revolution's Tropical Carnival eyeshadow palette if you fancy some bright colours. It's £10, made in the UK and cruelty-free. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah cool! I tend to be very conservative with eye makeup - a billion shades of beige - so experimenting is an idea.

      One stone down, four more to go... can I stand salad for lunch every day for the next year or so?!

      Delete
  5. That wonderful dress looks amazing on you, Mim, and you might be right about the bellybutton height ribbon stripes. They set off your figure wonderfully. My first thought it that you lost some weight, so your colleagues might be right! Well done, you. I won't be able to advise you on posh make-up, I'm afraid, as I'm a cheap 'n cheerful make-up girl myself! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now I need to go through the wardrobe and see if any of my nearly-fitting clothes are now actually fitting.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you! They sell some great stuff in that Etsy store; I'm tempted to buy more.

      Delete
  7. Lovely dress, it really suits you. I treated myself to some Charlotte Tillbury eyebrow stuff, a kind of brow mascara and a soft pencil. Both great. I particularly like the brow mascara as it takes a minute and looks like you've made an effort when really you couldn't be arsed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that's interesting - my brows don't really grow; any time I look like I've got them, I've painted them on!

      Delete
  8. Wow! That dress looks like it was tailor made for you! The color, the fit, thestyle - just perfection!
    Congrats on the weight loss - you look fabulous!
    I'm looking at Lisa Eldridge's new lippies as a luxury splurge (if they are not sold out already?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I haven't heard of that brand. I'm going to take my time choosing and have fun with the whole process. Maybe I'll wait till my holiday in September and get it at the airport, as that will kill time before the flight...

      Delete
  9. This dress was made for you! It looks so good with that bag too, a stunning outfit. It sounds like you're doing amazingly with your will power, I hope that you can treat yourself to the new make-up soon. I have a Charlotte Tilbury liquid lipstick, it's good and the packaging is all fancy, but I'm not convinced the actual product is any better than say a Bourjois or Maybelline one. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never bought anything online that fitted so well, it was meant to be mine.

      Good to know that about the CT lippie; I was also considering a Fatale one but they only do three colours at present (and I confess to being a tad annoyed that a brand that prides itself on being British named all its colours after Hollywood stars...)

      Delete
  10. This dress is stunning on you, Ms. Mim - and yes, I hear that, being a large-busted woman! Empire waists are not our friends, but this dropped waist is so very nice on you!

    I lost 50lbs 13 years ago, and lost it very gradually and evenly all over my body. Taking it slowly is a good idea. Rewarding yourself when you hit milestones is a definite yes! (Every 10 lbs, you should assess your bras!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts