My current style inspirations

Some of my style icons are eternal – Morticia Addams and Her Madge The Queen – but other inspirations come and go. Here are the people who are currently inspiring my wardrobe and shopping selections. I don't deliberately pick fictional characters to be inspired by, but most real-life celebs don't have a 'look' that grabs me, Helena Bonham-Carter and Dita aside, so my influences tend to come from the television and films I've been watching.

Tara King 
When it comes to The Avengers, everyone always goes on about Emma Peel. Diana Rigg and Patrick MacNee certainly had the best on-screen chemistry and the most fun scripts, but when it comes to clothes, Linda Thorson as Tara King beats Mrs Peel hands-down. Forget colourful crimplene jumpsuits, Tara's sassy minis and knee boots are where it's at as far as I'm concerned. (That said, I'm still channelling Emma when it comes to hair.) I might actually try a pair of knee boots - one of the few good things about being an apple body type is that apples generally have decent legs.



Elvira 
With Halloween approaching and fashion taking a darker turn, I'm revelling in the gloomy stuff, and Elvira adds a good dose of cheesy hot sauce to the mix. Smutty, spooky and saucy: all good separately and even better in combination. I've been >< that far from ordering all sorts of monstery goodies online. Sourpuss has an excellent handbag covered in pictures of Universal Monsters. Sooner or later I shall succumb.

Dana Scully
Responsible for my current suit cravings. I suspect Scully's minimalist 90s suits would, in the end, feel too plain for me and I'd whack on a diamante brooch or something, but those overlong jackets and pencil skirts or mannish trousers are really appealing right now. The trousers especially. I wouldn't do the whole look: as I could have worn it back in the day, it'd be akin to slapping a date stamp on myself nowadays.

Who's lighting your fashion fire right now?

Comments

  1. I adored Scully, I dressed as her for Halloween once in America, I hand made an FBI badge and carried around handcuffs and a plastic revolver. I still need to catch up on the Avengers, having only seen a few episodes a long time ago. I haven't really been getting inspiration from characters/real life people lately, but a few of the fashion spreads in magazines like Harper's Bazaar have been making me crave a few things like velvet. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Steed/Peel series are the best, and I prefer the black and white ones - which I think puts me in the minority. They're just more stylish.

      I haven't read a fashion magazine in ages; I keep being tempted to pick one up.

      Delete
  2. Interesting range of icons, Mim.

    I think I have been inspired by women I saw/see around me, on the streets, at work, in the supermarket etc; rather than actresses or even characters in books although they have been inspirations too.

    I think Gillian whatshername is such a style icon in 'The Fall' - those tailored skirts, jackets, trousers and silk shirts...

    It's such an interesting topic this one - you have given me food for thought! I might write a similar post in the near future - thank you for the idea.

    Have a good weekend

    Veronica
    vronni60s.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After writing it, I remembered that Jessica had done a post on styles that were inspiring her over at Chronically Vintage, so perhaps that's what gave me the idea.

      Gillian Anderson is vastly underrated. She's played some fantastic characters but people always seem to forget about her.

      Delete
  3. Great style inspirations, Mim.
    Elvira has some amazing wave that she emits and, though sometimes a bit revealing, her clothes is mysterious.
    Me?
    Gosh, I don't know.
    I have, for ages, loved the images from my 1970s Burda magazines. That's something that was available and at-hand while I was growing up,and therefore those images have given me guidance - maybe even made my style.
    Then, there's the "body-shape" thing and the "modesty" thing. I like to wear something well fitted and not so show-y.
    Lastly, I usually make-do with what I find in used clothes shops.
    (written like this - I sound dull)
    But, hey: there's always the adorable & versatile vintage-loving community.

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Elvira because she's so silly. She knows she's ridiculous and doesn't care. She's like the Dolly Parton of horror. (I also adore Dolly Parton.)

      Finding stuff in used clothes shops is the best - you're guaranteed to get something unique.

      Delete
  4. Tara King's style was fabulous, especially her hair. I can see you in some cool knee high boots.
    I loved Gillian Anderson's character's clothes in The Fall but I never watched X Files and Elvira is ace (I get compared to her and Fenella Fielding every time I wear my hair big and bouffant-like!)
    I'm constantly inspired by vintage Bollywood actresses in the psychedelic films of the day, Sharmila Tagore (An Evening in Paris), Zeenat Aman (Rama Hare Krisna) everything "H Bomb" Helen wore and, of course, young Cher. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of H Bomb Helen. Ay caramba! What a beauty. And Sharmila Tagore is so stunning.

      I can see you getting the Elvira and Fenella Fielding comparisons - not bad people to be compared to at all.

      In both The X-Files and The Fall Gillian Anderson wears things that would look very boring on someone with less presence. Very few people can wear such simple things and still seem complete. She has an elegance about her that makes them work.

      Delete
  5. I used to have Scully's haircut and people would joke whenever I wore a suit!
    I love this post, trying to think who inspires me at the moment. I'm having a good season for fashion because 90s-does-60s/70s is in and that is basically how I have dressed most of my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to buy ALL the shoes while you get the chance.

      I have noticed chokers making a reappearance.

      Delete
  6. I love this post, Mim. I don't really have any particular style icons at the moment, at least not that I'm aware of. I love people watching, though, and sometimes get inspired by what I see people wearing in the street. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see many people who inspire me around Bath. Though at the moment I keep seeing ones dresses in 19th century costume - I think the Jane austen festival must be happening.

      Delete
  7. Not sure at the moment, but I'm hankering after leopard print so very much! It used to be my thing: Jacket, brolly, purse, worn all at the same time, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, and I have to admire your enduring style icons. In fact my current style crush reminds me of Morticia; Adele Mildred. 40s meets gothic. And I really like the Scandinavian gothic thing which I'm seeing at the moment. Then at total odds with that is Artemis Russell of Junkaholique who does everything with quiet panache. She is so inherently stylish with great taste and sense of aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of Adele Mildred. She does have a great look, doesn't she? Very noir. I'd love to be able to look like that but I'm too scruffy.

      Argh, I didn't need to follow the links to Artemis Russell's jewellery... The carved floral stuff is so lovely. I wonder if I can leave it in the laptop browser history in case my husband needs inspiration for Christmas?...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts