Pottering around in Robotland


The cover of Modern Homes and Homemaking Illustrated from the 1950s.

Guess what? I'm ill again. I don't think it's anything I picked up in Cardiff – Pete and Lisa were both okay; then again I've no idea where I got it as I hadn't been anywhere else between Cardiff and getting ill. Anyway, I felt appalling and have had awful abdominal cramps, so have been working from home. It's going now, though. And I'll say one thing for ilness, it forces me to take a break, read through blogs and stop trying to do all the things, all the time. 

Anyway, I thought I should update you on things I've been up to. Isn't the book at the top of this post splendid? I got it recently from a seller on Instagram. I've built up a small collection of books with notes on homes and interior design over the years, and it's fascinating to see what fittings and fixtures are seen as essential at different times, which rooms were prioritised and so on. Needless to say the price of houses is always astonishing. One thing that surprised me was the suggestion of heat pumps for heating; I thought that was an ultra-modern thing, but it looks like the idea's been around for at least 70 years.
Two green tiki mugs standing on a glass table, with a garden stretching out in the background.

Cocktail of the week is continuing. We gave the tiki mugs Mr Robot got me for my birthday their first outing – I made Hurricanes. They're fruity and very rummy, and I don't recommend more than two! We've also had the barbecue out, making the most of the unseasonably warm temperatures. These are the jerk prawns, potato salad and melon, cucumber and tomato salad from Levi Roots' book Grill With Levi

A plate of grilled prawns, with green handmade pottery serving dishes of salad behind.

Vintage-wise, we're very much enjoying The Ipcress File - I know Vix has been watching that too - and we've also been watching Maigret as Talking Pictures TV has been broadcasting the 1960s series. I've got a stackload of old horror films recorded from that channel too.

I've got the sewing pattern for my waistcoat the way I want it, finally, and will begin work on the proper thing at some point. I might start it tomorrow, depending on how I'm feeling. I've also started knitting a cardigan out of scrappy ends of sock yarn. It's the embodiment of Vix's theory that if you put stuff you really like together, it will all work, because these are all ball-ends that are too big (and nice) to throw out but too small to do anything with individually.

And I need to get my sewjo back because we've finally booked our trip to Spain! Yes, the trip we couldn't take for our 20th wedding anniversary this year is ON for this autumn. I'm so looking forward to it. My style's shifted a bit on lockdown, and not only because I gained a lot of weight, so I want to make a few things for the trip. Maybe an extra kimono top or two, maybe more wide-legged trousers, and I want to take my usual Boden skirts but I've always struggled to find things that work with them (the high street doesn't really design/cut for large-cup boobs, and I find buying summer tops especially problematic), so this time I'm going to make things that work with them.

Anyway, that's World Of Mim. Ticking along, if not in an especially interesting way!

Comments

  1. Oh no, I'm so sorry that you're poorly. Those cramps sound nasty, take care of yourself, Mim. I've read a few blogs of people who've had Covid and then caught something a couple of weeks later, I suppose it must weaken the immune system and make you susceptable to nasties.
    That BBQ looks incredible - and I'm a veggie!! Liking the sound of those rum drinks, too.
    We loved the Ipcress File and binge watched it over two nights - spotting a bit of Kinky stock the wardrobe dept had bought from us made it even more exciting!
    I can't wait to see the waistcoat and the cardi sounds fab - thanks for the shout-out - my Mum used to make crochet coats from scraps of wool in the 1970s, it kept her in fags and cheap white wine!
    I'm so pleased to hear that you're finally going back to Spain, we loved our short trip to Alicante, it had been years since we last visited! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure the covid didn't help. On the plus side, I lost a few pounds so it's encouraged me to go back to the gym and watch what I eat - I *am* going to get back into my vintage!

      Delete
  2. Oh no, not again. I hope that you'll be back to normal by now. Glad to hear you'll be making it to Spain.
    Old ideas about housekeeping are interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear you're ill again and hope you'll feel better soon!
    Love the book, which is something I definitely would have picked up as well. Now that you mention it, I think I've got something similar but from a slightly later era, brought back from the parental home!
    It's good to hear that your 20th Anniversary trip is finally going to happen this year. We're hoping to finally make it back to the UK in June! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the weather will be good for you! It's so good to be travelling again.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear you picked up a bug, Mim! That sucks! But having a bit of down-time is never a bad thing! I love old vintage books like that - the tips are often hilarious to our modern eyes. Love your tiki glasses!

    How exciting to have a trip booked! I can barely think about the fall - it feels far away...

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel like an awfully long way away. But it will be here soon enough...

      The tiki mugs are going to get a LOT of use this summer.

      Delete
  5. I hope you're feeling better by now, Mim. I love your tiki mugs and the meal looked delicious. Your sewing and knitting plans seem fab and I look forward to seeing the results. I got my crochet mojo back on holiday so might also actually make something!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hooray - I love the colours you choose for your crochet projects, they always look so good together.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts