Outfit post: mod-ern Mim

If you’re looking at this photo and thinking, “That outfit looks familiar”, well yes it mostly does. It’s virtually the same as the outfit I wore to see Caro Emerald last year. One of my colleagues, who worked for science fiction mag SFX, was leaving work on Friday. As well as making magazines, he’s a published author; if you fancy a bit of 60s-set supernatural spy-fi – two parts Len Deighton to one part Lovecraft – I recommend The War In The Dark by Nick Setchfield (and I will review it properly later this month).


As Nick’s a fan of midcentury spy-fi, I wanted to dress appropriately. The stripy top isn’t quite a ‘poor boy’ sweater but is reasonably close. It cost me £1.50 in a charity shop. Win. I also tied a scarf to the handle of my Goody bag in matching colours; this was part of the care parcel Gisela sent me before Christmas. For some reason all the navy things look almost black in this photo, but it's actually navy. And the necklace was a gift from my non-blogging pal Andrea (@lostgoth on Instagram). It’s the Ello Worm from Labyrinth. I did learn one thing from my Caro Emerald outfit: my navy and white Modshoes slingbacks don’t work with navy opaque tights. Sheer, fleshtones ones it was, then. The shoes got compliments later, which was nice. Even the perfume was on theme, being Balmain Jolie Madame, that most Cathy Gale of scents.

I feel really good in this sort of outfit. That’s a bit of a rarity nowadays. Why don’t I dress like this more often? Put simply, I don’t have the pieces. (Setting aside the original vintage I own that’s too small – but I’m working on that.) An A-line mini is on my 2019 Make Nine list, but if I can nail down a pattern that works for me, there’s no reason to stick at just one.

On the topic of Make Nine and other resolutions, today was my second 'phone-free Sunday'. (It's not strictly phone-free as I can still be called/texted, I'm just staying off Twitter, Discord and Instagram.) It's already a massive success as far as I'm concerned. I'm getting more done, both useful housework and more creative things, and feeling less stressed. Successful outfit, successful Sunday. I hope yours has been as much fun.

Comments

  1. Looking fabulous, Mim. I think that you really nailed your look. You have a fabulous set of gams and are rocking that skirt. That's a lovely jumper too. I have never heard of a "poor boy" sweater so will have to go look it up.
    Have you found your dream skirt pattern yet? There are some nice Simplicity dresses from this era. You could use the skirt part from them and just add on a waistband or even just an elastic casing. I will keep a look out in the chazzas for patterns for you. Phone-free Sunday sounds like a great idea (she typed on her phone, on a Sunday). 😷 Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia Rykiel coined the term - it's the ribbed, high-necked, fitted ones that she started selling in the early 60s.

      I haven't found a skirt pattern, but to be honest I haven't looked. I think my Sorbetto will be my next make, just because I want to wear my rocket top.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy to hear you're feeling less stressed and getting things done! That's such a great outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One seems to lead to the other too: do stuff, feel happier, feel able to do more. Pete and I are thinking of putting some time in on the garden this weekend.

      Delete
  3. I love that! You look all mod, hip, and swingin'!
    Balmain Jolie Madame- i had totally forgotten about that gem! It is what I'd call a white floral chypre. I shall have to try & find a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of it as leather and violets. I got a bottle from a discounter years ago and thought I hated it, but it's really grown on me in the years since.

      Delete
  4. Feeling really good in an outfit is such a key thing! Especially for work I think. I am sure you'll find a simple skirt pattern to suit. If not vintage, Tilly and The Buttons first book has an A-line mini pattern, perhaps your library has it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah right, that's good to know!

      I confess, I'm always a bit suspicious of her stuff because she was so annoying on Sewing Bee.

      Delete
  5. You're looking fab in your A-line mini skirt and striped jumper outfit. Imagine the endless possibilities if you were to find the perfect pattern for the skirt! Well done on your first almost phone free Sunday! I failed miserably. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having now had two phone-free Sundays, they're definitely the way to go. I get so much more done!

      Delete
  6. A fab look, Mim. Look at those legs! Stop hiding them and flash them more often. I love the jumper and the shoes. I'd not heard of a 'poor boy' sweater either...

    Glad to hear you're feeling less stressed.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, it's one of the things about being an apple body type - never have a waist to write home about, but most of us have decent pins!

      Delete
  7. I thought I had already posted on here I'm clearly losing the plot and did not. A line skirts are fab I'm looking forward to seeing you in more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your your apple body decent pins comment made me giggle and nod in agreement. I've been wearing a lot of mini skirts recently for that very reason. I'm on the look out for a good sewing pattern for one too so I'll let you know if I find anything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts