New dress!

Being a bit of a fat robot, it's hard to find vintage clothes that I like and that fit me. I can find things that are one, find things that are the other, but getting both in one outfit is tough. I started reading Fleur de Guerre's blog 'Diary of a Vintage Girl' around a couple of months ago, and decided to investigate some of the firms she'd linked to. One was Heyday, and they were selling the 'Mary' dress. Mary is a versatile lass, she comes in black and brown and red and pink and floral, but she also comes in my favourite sort of green. Do you know the green pottery from the 1920s-40s? A bit chunky, a little art deco? I don't know the proper term for it, but I've been hankering after a vase in that glaze for years. (I really should buy one.) That's the sort of green this dress is.


I measured myself and decided a size 16 would do me, sent off my cheque and waited. Today I got it and it is perfect. The satin is not too shiny, and the manufacturing standard pleasingly good. For a dress that's made in the UK of this quality, £60 really is excellent value. It's a little too tight, but that's my fault for being overoptimistic when I ordered it. (Thank heaven I didn't let my vanity get the better of me so I ordered the 14; I have enough clothes I can't wear already!) I am right at the top edge of the size 16; as I'm currently on a healthy eating kick and due to start attending the gym again and plan to buy some smoothing undies from What Katie Did the dress should be hanging perfectly in a few months.

Comments

  1. Ooh yay - will we be seeing it at work then? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly - I might save it for the work Christmas party and have a go at doing my hair properly.

    I've got a pair of 1930s dress clips that will look really nice with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts