Bloofer lady and gent: Anjelica Huston and Raul Julia



Gomez and Morticia Addams kissing passionately in the doorway of their house

"I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss."

It is October, and so I have risen from my blogging grave to bring you this year's scream-summoning saucepot. But in compensation for my appalling lapse (I thought I'd been away from you for a month, but it's been several) I am going to give you two horrifying hotties at once. Because who could separate these two, choose one without the other? I present to you the perfect spooktacular screen couple, Raul Julia and Anjelica Huston. 

Both had careers that began treading boards, Julia on Broadway and Huston high-fashion catwalks. You could say Huston never had to 'make it' to Hollywood, being from a famous cinematic family, but the graceful beauty didn't take her career for granted, and she'd already racked up an Oscar by the time she stepped into Morticia's elegant shoes. She'd also played the Grand High Witch in The Witches, so just as her patrician beauty was undeniable, her creeping credentials were well established. 

Julia, on the other hand, was the first actor in his family, and on his way to 0001 Cemetary Lane, as well as playing the likes of Mack the Knife in The Threepenny Opera (a role he later repeated in the film Mack The Knife) – on stage, he also popped up in Sesame Street and The Bob Newhart Show on television. Versatile as he was, he had a definite talent for the dark: he also played Count Dracula in – oh, I don't need to say it! – on stage in the late 1970s, something I would dearly love to have seen, and Victor Frankenstein in Roger Corman's film Frankenstein Unbound

Gomez and Morticia Addams sitting on a tomb together.

Then, in 1991, they came together in The Addams Family, as Gomez and Morticia Addams, roles they reprised in 1993's Addams Family Values. Never for one moment did viewers doubt that this couple were deeply, passionately in love. A true, generous, if occasionally kinky, sort of love. And a good many viewers loved them back. Some adored Gomez, mon cher. Others yearned for Morticia, cara mia. And the energetic and modern couldn't or wouldn't choose, and picked both, and who's to say they were wrong? 

"Last night you were unhinged. You were like some desperate howling demon. You frightened me. Do it again."

Gomez Addams catches a knife between his teeth. His wife, Morticia, is just visible in the background.

For giving us an on-screen passion to aspire to, and family values we can actually uphold, Bloofer Lady and Gent, we salute you!

Comments

  1. Totally agree they're a Fabulously Spooktacular Couple and loved them in both movies. Obviously, I have to watch them again now!.
    Lovely to read you back!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Angelica Houston, she gets more and more gorgeous the older she gets and - thank goodness - resisted the urge to get any "work" done. She's a Wes Anderson favourite, that's good enough for me. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen this beloved movie. Guess maybe I ought to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this couple - I aspire to be like them. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts