They come running just as fast as they can…

 

A grey suit and cape. The cape has a shocking pink lining, and there is floral embroidery on the shoulders of the cape, the front of the jacket, and thickly encrusting the shirt beneath.
Suit by Randi Rahm, worn by Billy Porter to the 2019 Golden Globes

Errr... So somehow I missed the whole of June. I hadn't realised it had been that long!

I have been getting out and about. On 16 June I met up with Gisela and we went to the V&A to see the exhibition 'Fashioning Masculinities: The Art Of Menswear'. It was a really interesting exhibition, starting with idealised versions of the male physique, referring to classical sculpture (everything from Tom Of Finland to underwear ads to chest binders), moving on to historic image and artefacts that show masculine style but often in ways that buck expectation (Frances Stewart, later Duchess of Richmond, in perfect soldierly attire; a portrait of Alessandro de Medici, whose mother was of African heritage; a 'lace' cravat actually carved from wood by Grinling Gibbons and worn by Horace Walpole). Other parts explored pink and florals in menswear, tweeds and tartans, and the dinner suit. It was very western-centric, probably due to limitations of space. But I really enjoyed it. To be honest, any day with Gisela is guaranteed to be a good day.

A Glasgow street scene. There are attractive late-Victorian buildings.

Last week Mr Robot and I went to Glasgow. We were supposed to be seeing Guns 'n' Roses on the Tuesday, so flew up on the Monday… and were notified on Monday evening that the gig was cancelled for medical reasons. Arsecakes. However, from what I've heard about the London gigs on the weekend before, we'd have been in for a disappointing time as Axl's appeared to be having voice problems, so maybe it was for the best. 
Glasgow City hall, a massive sandstone building with domes at the left and right and masses of columns in the centre.

On Monday night we hung out at the excellent Pot Still pub with Lauren from PC Gamer and her husband, and on Tuesday we visited Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum in the morning and Glasgow Cathedral in the afternoon. We left the latter a bit late and so we only got to venture just inside the Necropolis, the big cemetary - it closes at 4:30, even at this time of year. Glasgow was gorgeous though and I'd definitely go back, so I'm sure we'll see it another time. We flew back on Wednesday, having had a splendid time.

A redheaded white woman in a green tweed waistcoat over a navy silky pussybow blouse. She is standing in front of packed bookshelves.
Never fasten the bottom button… Hey, I don't make the rules!


Between those two things I finally finished my waistcoat! I suppose that's keeping in with the menswear theme, in a way, though this pattern was made for women. It's a bit loose round the waist, so I'll tweak the pattern if I make it again, but given I had to drop the bust point and do a full bust adjustment on princess seams for the very first time, overall I'm really pleased with the fit. Of course it's far too hot to wear it now, but I'm sure it'll come in handy during the winter. 

Aside from that, I've been carrying on as normal. I completed an absolute mountain of freelance on top of the day job, the garden is looking fantastic (my aubergines and pepper plants aren't up to much, but we'll have tons of tomatoes in August), I'm still making all sorts of cocktails, and the cats haven't melted in the heat. Oh, and Stranger Things is pushing all my nostalgia buttons in a weird way – the 80s sucked for me personally, so it's nice to see this rose-tinted version. And the music's great.

Now I need to catch up on everyone's blogs, so I'll probably see you in another six weeks…

Comments

  1. The Art of Menswear exhibition sounds really interesting, and how lovely that you got to visit it with Gisela!
    Sorry to hear the Guns 'n Roses gig was cancelled but I'm sure getting to explore Glasgow somewhat made up for this.
    Well done on finishing the waistcoat, even if the thought of wearing one right now is making me feel faint! xxx P.S. The 80s sucked somewhat for me too, so I'll have to check out Stranger Things I guess ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that sucks about GnR, but at least you got a fun holiday out of it! I would have loved to have seen that exhibit on menswear - it looks so fun. Well done on your vest, Mim! No, wait, "waistcoat", right? :) I liked peering at your book collection.

    I really enjoyed the latest Stranger Things - Metallica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are mostly crime books, plus a bunch of fantasy and Steven King... we haven't rearranged the shelves properly since getting them installed, though I have shunted a few of the crime novels around.

      YES to Metallica!

      Delete
  3. That’s annoying. I thought axl was with AC/DC?? I can’t keep up anymore. Love and hugs allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did tour with them, though Brian's voice has recovered so he's back with AC/DC. :-D

      Delete
  4. Aww right back at you. It was a great day, we must do it again soon. I'm glad you had a good time in Glasgow regardless. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd always wanted to go there, so I wasn't going to waste the opportunity.

      Delete
  5. The waistcoat is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love the fabric - I *think* I've got enough for a pencil skirt.

      Delete
  6. How lovely you got to meet up with Gisela! That exhibition looks fascinating...

    I've never yet made it to Glasgow but I know it's a wonderful city. What a shame about your gig being cancelled but at least you still got to do more cultural and touristy things.

    I love your waistcoat; it's going to be a really useful item in your winter. wardrobe, I can tell!

    Have a great weekend,
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd definitely go back to Glasgow, though I don't know if I'd eat the deep-fried pizza again...

      Delete
  7. A day out with Gisela! I bet you had a blast. I saw a suit destined for that V&A exhibition on Secrets of the V&A, it looks like a brilliant display.
    What a shame about Guns & Roses but great that you had fun in Glasgow, the Necropolis sounds right up my street.
    The waistcoat is amazing, your skills know no bounds.
    Hope it's not too long till you post again! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Necropolis is brilliant, I was really kicking myself for not getting there earlier. I think you'd really like Glasgow - it's a compact city centre, lots of brilliant late Victorian/early 20th century buildings, lots of good bars and restaurants. It felt like a place with plenty of energy too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts