What are you looking for?

Have you ever found something in a charity shop that you just couldn't leave behind, not because you wanted it, but because you knew someone would, and it might get trashed if you left it? The unusual shape of this box caught my eye on Saturday - and when I opened it, I was amazed to find out it was a 1950s music box manicure set. All that pink ruching looked like something I'd expect to see in Jayne Mansfield's infamously kitsch pink house. I think the white tools are later additions and the pink ones are the originals. Anyway, I bought it - it was only £2 - and offered it on my Instagram feed free to a good home and it got snapped up. Similar ones are going for as much as £60 on Etsy!

Although vintage clothes seem hard to find, I do come across homewares in chazzas. So is there anything you're looking for that I can keep an eye out for? I've got 'balls in boxes' china for Vix on my mental checklist, and 'snowflake pyrex' for Liza. Let me know if you'd like me to stick something on the list for you.

Comments

  1. I buy things for exactly the same reason and most of the time they do find homes. Small evening bags are inexpensive where I live and they make nice packaging if I'm sending out brooches, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had more room, I'd have so much stuff waiting for its rightful owner... I kind of understand where Bagpuss' Emily was coming from nowadays.

      (In case you chaps didn't get Bagpuss, she was a little girl who'd take home lost objects and her toys would fix them, and the objects would go in the shop window for their owners to reclaim.)

      Delete
    2. I liked Bagpuss...but not Prof. Yaffle!

      Delete
  2. I picked up the charity shopping gene from her mum. She has the philosophy that there will be a certain item that you will have to rescue if you see them. For me it's copies of favourite books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I would have picked this up too, if only to rescue it. Who knows what would happen to it otherwise. Glad to hear you were able to find it a good home. I'm always looking out for vintage green Penguins for you, but they seem to have become elusive ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those, and can't remember the last time I saw them. I think Penguins have become very collectable, and also hipsters like them 'cos the matching covers look good on their shelves. (I can't wait for trends to change and them to flood back into the secondhand shops...)

      Delete
  4. I love your public spirit! I never know what I'm looking for until I have found it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems better than buying stuff to sell, somehow - spreading the vintage love a little.

      Delete
  5. Ooo that is pretty! I would have snapped that up too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't leave it - what if someone who didn't appreciate it had found it and trashed it? The music box in it is really good quality.

      Delete
  6. That is a great find. I'm glad that you rescued it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts