Saturday, 21 January 2017

Swindon Steampunk Spectacular

It's a bit surprising that this has taken so long to happen: Swindon, home of the Great Western Railway, is hosting a steampunk spectacular from 24-26 March. The venue is about as appropriate as it gets, as it's being held at Steam, the Museum of the Great Western Railway, which is housed in the old engine works and has a spectacular collection of engines, carriages, and railway paraphernalia.


I haven't been able to find out exactly who is organising it, but posts on steampunk sites make me believe it's been organised by steampunks, for steampunks, and the museum has agreed to include all the daytime stuff in the regular admission price. (There's evening entertainment, but that will cost extra.) Steam's website has a bit of information, but there's much more information about traders and entertainers on the event's Facebook page.

As this is in Wiltshire, it's on my events list of 'What's on in Vintage Wiltshire'. If you're in the county, or just over the borders, click on the tab at the top of this to see what's coming up. And if you know of anything interesting that I've missed, please let me know - I do my best to keep it comprehensive and up to date, but it's a lot of work!

To return to steampunk, I've also noticed that there's a gathering at Coldharbour Mill in Devon on the 6-7 May. Coldharbour Mill is a heritage woollen mill, steam-powered, that's still working to this day. In fact, vintage knitters may know it as the place that spins a number of Susan Crawford's yarns, Excelana in particular. If you're in Devon at that time, it would make a great weekend out.

8 comments :

  1. Looks like a wonderful venue for a steampunk event. I bet you're looking forward to it, Mim. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can make it - I haven't checked if I've got anything else going on. I'll definitely want to go for the day, even if I can't go for the evening bits.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this, we are ourselves surprised and delighted that STEAM had not already got a steampunk event and were prepared to let us organise one for them - and,of course for steampunks! As it happens, we are also responsible for the Coldharbour Mill Steampunk Weekend - just an amazing survivor, full of amazing machinery and powered by steam! Best wishes, David Smith www.crewe-steampunk-convivial.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I had no idea Coldharbour Mill was your event too. It's a lovely place, and I really like the way the owners do their bit for the local wool industry and support rare breeds.

      Swindon's got some people absolutely dedicated to supporting its heritage, though it often gets overlooked.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'll go along for the day, I reckon - the venue is right by Swindon train station, and it's a straight trip from Trow to Swindon.

      Delete
  4. This looks great. I love the Steampunk aesthetic and have been to a couple of events. Would love to have a poke about those old trains. They are fab. Have a great time. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have some ace carriages there - last time I went, there was a whole section on trains and holidays, because the Great Western went to the resorts along the coasts of Devon and Cornwall. Fascinating stuff. I really fell for a 1930s buffet car; it was so perfectly deco.

      Delete